Juvenile Justice Advisory Committee (JJAC)
State Attorney Melissa Nelson established the Juvenile Justice Advisory Committee to bring together passionate youth and justice advocates to develop juvenile programming that will reduce recidivism rates and crime in the Fourth Circuit.
Chaired by Holland & Knight Partner Buddy Schulz, the 23-member committee comprises individuals with diverse backgrounds and viewpoints who will spend a year conducting a comprehensive review. Members will discuss the effectiveness of current State Attorney’s Office programs and determine how they can be enhanced. Additionally, members will look at other jurisdictions as a way to incorporate best practices into the Fourth Circuit’s programs.
The goal is for the committee to provide recommendations to Nelson about prospective programming.
Download the official release:
The Juvenile Justice Advisory Committee will meet from 9-11 a.m. Friday, Jan. 12, at the law offices of Holland & Knight, 50 N. Laura St., Suite 3900. The meeting is open to the public. For more information, contact Linzee Ott at (904) 255-2777.
- Buddy Schulz(chair), Partner, Holland & Knight
- The Honorable Suzanne Bass, Circuit Judge (Division JV-A), Fourth Judicial Circuit
- Vicki Burke, Juvenile Detention Alternative Initiative Coordinator, Florida Department of Juvenile Justice
- Jim Clark, CEO, Daniel Memorial Inc.
- The Honorable Brian Davis, District Judge, U.S. Middle District of Florida
- Pamela Davis, Executive Director of Dropout Prevention, Duval County Public Schools
- Rory Diamond, CEO, K9s For Warriors
- Kevin Gay, CEO/Founder, Operation New Hope
- Nat Glover, President, Edward Waters College
- Dr. Jeff Goldhagen, Professor and Chief of Community Pediatrics, University of Florida College of Medicine — Jacksonville
- Shelley Grant, Professor of Sociology, Jacksonville University
- Marcus Haile, Chief Development Officer, Cathedral Arts Project
- Gretchen Hamm, Comprehensive Service Center Operations Manager, Mental Health Resource Center
- Elder Lee Harris, Pastor, Mt. Olive Primitive Baptist Church
- Bill Hodges, Government Affairs and Strategic Initiatives Director, Jacksonville Children’s Commission
- Alan Louder, Director of Juvenile Diversion, Fourth Judicial Circuit State Attorney’s Office
- Michael Meyers, Retired Partner, Orrick Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
- Lara Nezami, Attorney at Law, Finnell, McGuinness, Nezami & Andux PA
- Deloris Patterson, Assistant Chief, Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office
- The Honorable Jack Schemer, Circuit Judge (FM-A), Fourth Judicial Circuit
- Anthony Stinson, Community Activist and Small Business Owner
- Nina Waters, President, The Community Foundation of Northeast Florida
- Vicki Waytowich, Executive Director, Partnership for Child Health
The Juvenile Justice Advisory Committee will operate pursuant to Florida’s “Sunshine” Law and, as such, will be open to the public. Specific times and locations will be published closer to the actual meeting. Public notices for any full or subcommittee meeting will be posted on this page at least 24 hours in advance of a meeting.
Unless otherwise noted, all meetings will be 9-11 a.m. The tentative schedule of meetings is:
• Sept. 29, 2017
• Oct. 27, 2017
• Dec. 1, 2017
• Jan. 12, 2018
• Feb. 2, 2018
• March 9, 2018
• April 6, 2018
• May 11, 2018
• June 1, 2018
• July 13, 2018
• Aug. 10, 2018
• Sept. 14, 2018
Minutes from each meeting and other pertinent information will be uploaded in a timely manner after each meeting.
JJAC Minutes, Sept. 29
JJAC Minutes, Oct. 27
Fourth Circuit Diversion Overview
It Takes a Village Report