State Attorney Melissa Nelson is pleased to offer a legal internship opportunity to individuals who may be considering a career in prosecution. This program is designed to offer students a glimpse of life as a prosecutor or prosecution support specialist. The program is structured to expose students to a variety of prosecution experiences.
Prosecution experiences provided:
- A variety of trials including criminal (misdemeanor, felony, and juvenile) and civil (forfeitures and “Jimmy Ryce”) followed by discussion with the prosecuting attorney regarding any issues or questions about the trial.
- A one-on-one “Shadowing” experience with an attorney
- Small group meeting with the State Attorney and/or Senior Attorneys in an informal setting.
- Tours of support facilities may include: The Duval County Correctional Facility, The Florida Department of Law Enforcement regional crime lab, The Duval County Medical Examiner’s Office, the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office, the JSO forfeiture warehouse and evidence room.
Projects to which Interns may be assigned:
- Monitoring inmate jail calls for relevant information pertaining to the prosecution’s case
- Restitution Recovery for victims of crimes
- File review and organization
- Prosecution support services through assistance in trial preparation and technical support
- Legal research and writing
Applications for unpaid Fall 2017 internships will be accepted until July 1, 2017.
To apply, please download and complete the application below. Applications and resumes should be e-mailed to to Monica Brain at email@example.com.