State Attorney Melissa Nelson is pleased to offer summer internship opportunities for college and law students. This program is designed to offer students a variety of prosecutorial experiences.
(March 23, 2018, update: The application window for the Summer 2018 semester internship program is now closed. We welcome applications for Fall 2018 and subsequent semesters, but we are no longer accepting applications for Summer 2018.)
- Attend misdemeanor, juvenile, and felony trials
- Attend a variety of proceedings, including First Appearance Court, Traffic Court, Calendar Call, depositions, and jury selection
- Meet and Greet with Melissa Nelson and/or Senior Attorneys in an informal setting
- Past field trips and tours have included: FBI Jacksonville Office Tour, Duval County Jail Tour, JSO Bomb Squad Show and Tell, 9-1-1 Command Center Tour, TSA K9 demonstrations, Clay County Sheriff and Fire Department Control Burn, and a tour of the Florida State Prison
- Weekly meetings and trainings
Projects in which interns participate:
- Legal research and writing
- Document review and file organization
- Prosecution support services through assistance in trial preparation and technical support
- Monitoring inmate calls for relevant information, and CLI students may handle Motion Hearings and Bench Trials
To apply, please download and complete the application above. Applications and resumes should be e-mailed to Tomica Reynolds at TReynolds@coj.net.
The SAO provided me with a uniquely in-depth perspective on criminal law & prosecution. I got to do real work that affected case outcomes & see brilliant trial attorneys at work….. I cannot recommend interning there enough!Alyssa Bernstein
Seeing how prosecutors prepare for cases is encouraging. Evidence is gathered and arguments are tested in a fair and diligent way. Seeing how this is all done shows that fairness and justice are heavily emphasized here.Kateem Ellis