State Attorney Melissa Nelson is pleased to offer summer internship opportunities for college and law students. This program is designed to offer students a variety of prosecutorial experiences.
- Attend misdemeanor, juvenile, and felony trials
- Attend a variety of proceedings, including First Appearance Court, Traffic Court, Calendar Call, depositions, and jury selection
- Meet and Greet with Melissa Nelson and/or Senior Attorneys in an informal setting
- Past field trips and tours have included: FBI Jacksonville Office Tour, Duval County Jail Tour, JSO Bomb Squad Show and Tell, 9-1-1 Command Center Tour, TSA K9 demonstrations, Clay County Sheriff and Fire Department Control Burn, and a tour of the Florida State Prison
- Weekly meetings and trainings
Projects in which interns participate:
- Legal research and writing
- Document review and file organization
- Prosecution support services through assistance in trial preparation and technical support
- Monitoring inmate calls for relevant information, and CLI students may handle Motion Hearings and Bench Trials
To apply, please download and complete the application above. Applications and resumes should be e-mailed to to Monica Bain at email@example.com.
The SAO provided me with a uniquely in-depth perspective on criminal law & prosecution. I got to do real work that affected case outcomes & see brilliant trial attorneys at work….. I cannot recommend interning there enough!Alyssa Bernstein
Seeing how prosecutors prepare for cases is encouraging. Evidence is gathered and arguments are tested in a fair and diligent way. Seeing how this is all done shows that fairness and justice are heavily emphasized here.Kateem Ellis