Internships and Volunteers
State Attorney Melissa Nelson is pleased to offer summer internship opportunities for college and law students. This program is designed to offer students a variety of prosecutorial experiences.
Due to COVID-19 impacts on schools and universities, applications will now be accepted through 5 p.m. on April 6, 2020.
Applications will be accepted through July 31, 2020.
Applications will be accepted through December 18, 2020.
- Attend misdemeanor, juvenile, and felony trials
- Attend a variety of proceedings, including First Appearance Court, Traffic Court, Calendar Call, depositions, and jury selection
- Meet and Greet with Melissa Nelson and/or Senior Attorneys in an informal setting
- Past field trips and tours have included: FBI Jacksonville Office Tour, Duval County Jail Tour, JSO Bomb Squad Show and Tell, 9-1-1 Command Center Tour, TSA K9 demonstrations, Clay County Sheriff and Fire Department Control Burn, and a tour of the Florida State Prison
- Weekly meetings and trainings
Projects in which interns participate:
- Legal research and writing
- Document review and file organization
- Prosecution support services through assistance in trial preparation and technical support
- Monitoring inmate calls for relevant information, and CLI students may handle Motion Hearings and Bench Trials
To apply, please download and complete the application above. Applications and resumes should be e-mailed to SAO4th@coj.net.
From assisting attorneys with their upcoming trials, to taking fun field trips to important places in our city, I have learned so much about not only prosecution as a field of work, but also about Jacksonville’s largest issues in criminal justice.
I have been able to do real case work, speak in court, and have a positive affect on the lives of victims, as well as learn from some of the brightest attorneys the Florida Bar has to offer.
As a participant in our “Friends of the 4th” program, you will be given prosecution support duties, file review and organization, and opportunities to work on special projects. In addition, you will have a chance to observe a variety of hearings and trials if you are interested.
After opening the application, press the email icon and email the application to yourself. From your email, open and complete the application. After completing, press the email icon and return it to, SAO4th@coj.net.